Click on a coloured section of the map to see the features of that area.
The church building's exterior gives little sign of its wonderful interior. The north side, which most visitors see first, is a Victorian facade constructed mostly of dark flint, giving it a sombre appearance. The south side is earlier and shows signs of the many alterations that have been made over the centuries.
The low tower contains a peal of bells that are rung regularly.
There are also outdoor war memorials in the vicinity of the church, which are shown on a dedicated web site.
The church yard attracts much wildlife including red foxes, grey squirrels, common lizards, blue tits, great tits, long-tailed tits, wrens, robins, chaffinches, blackbirds, song thrushes, starlings, carrion crows, jackdaws, wood pigeons, feral pigeons, magpies, jays, green woodpeckers, greater spotted woodpeckers, nuthatches, goldcrests, chiffchaffs, grey wagtails, ring-necked parakeets, redwings, and (once) a hobby. On the ponds over the road there are mallard and tufted ducks, canada geese, mute swans, coots, moorhens, black-headed gulls, herring gulls, lesser black-backed gulls, grey herons, egyptian geese and sometimes cormorants and little grebes.
Click on a picture thumbnail below to open a larger version in a new browser tab.
A stone in the east wall commemorating the beginning of the reconstruction in 1891. It was laid by Princess Helena, widow of Queen Victoria's haemophiliac son Prince Leopold.
The middle of the south side showing a blocked window (left) and two blocked doorways; the lower one is probably oldest, and was replaced by the upper one giving access to a gallery since removed. The line of slates at ground level conceals under-pinning undertaken in the mid 20th century.
Near the T-junction of paths in the middle of the ancient graveyard is the monument to Admiral Wallace Houstoun and his wife Caroline Frederica; the inscription is shown here.
Beside the doubly curved path at the west side of the ancient graveyard is the "Willie Bird Memorial" Cross commemorating people from the Wrythe who died in World War I. The names are:
On the right-angle corner of the wall where the middle graveyard meets the ancient section there is a plaque recording the donation of the land for the middle graveyard in 1915. Sir Samuel Barrow was a prominent leather merchant.