The organ has recently been rebuilt by Willis's.
A specification for the organ can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html; enter into the address search box "carshalton saints".
Another view of the new organ console. The use of rocker switches above the manuals to control the couplers simplifies the layout. The white buttons ("stops") to the right and left of the manuals are used to switch on or off the rows of pipes. Each row makes a different sound.
The organ console is equipped with a MIDI input, which plays notes as if the keys were being pressed, but does not select stops. Channel 1 is assigned to the highest manual, the Swell, channel 2 to the Great, channel 3 to the Choir, and channel 4 to the pedals.
The console carries a label saying:
and Willis's staff explained that the organ was installed in the gallery beside the chancel in 1895, and moved to its present position in the west end gallery in 1932. The organ is still tuned to A=437Hz, as it was in 1895, so it cannot be used with the piano, which is tuned to A=440Hz.
Many of the refurbished organ pipes are in the organ case that is visible from ground level. Some are round and made of metal, others are square and made of wood; this gives each row a distinctive sound.
The rows of pipes, each of which has a unique sound, are turned on and off by means of a slide that runs below each row of pipes; these are electrically operated by means of solenoids, which are the the black cylindrical devices on the left. Each one is controlled by the organist by pulling or pushing a stop.
The electronic cards on the left of the preceding picture decode the electrical commands from the console and control the individual pipes and stop slides. The white cable below them is the only connection between the console and the organ. A radio connection will soon be installed, so that the console can be played from anywhere, provided it can be plugged into the mains.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for general enquiries.